There’s just three weeks to go until the MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship reaches a crucial part of the season at Lincolnshire’s Cadwell Park, which hosts the Title Fighter decider on August Bank Holiday weekend (27-29 August).
Cadwell Park is traditionally one of the biggest events on the BSB calendar and fans from across the country flock to the circuit to witness the spectacular sight of airborne Superbikes over the famous Mountain section of the track. There’s nothing like it anywhere else in the world.
Only the top six in the championship standings after Cadwell Park will be eligible to compete in the title Showdown that takes place over the final three rounds. Three riders have already made it through following the Brands Hatch event – including Shane Byrne from the Louth-based HM Plant Honda team, American John Hopkins and Tommy Hill. However, eight other riders are still in contention for the remaining three spots: Michael Laverty, Josh Brookes, reigning champion Ryuichi Kiyonari, Michael Rutter, Gary Mason, Jon Kirkham, Peter Hickman and Chris Walker.
The stakes will be higher than ever at Cadwell Park, particularly now it will feature a triple header of races (one on the Sunday and two on Bank Holiday Monday) following the postponement of Oulton Park’s second race last month, leaving 75 points up for grabs.
Meanwhile, Byrne, Hopkins and Hill will be pushing hard to score top three places and earn podium credits that will give them a vital advantage when the three-round title Showdown commences at Donington Park in September.
MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship standings ahead of Cadwell Park:
1. Shane Byrne (HM Plant Honda) 255 (THROUGH TO SHOWDOWN)
2. John Hopkins (Samsung Crescent Racing Suzuki) 231 (THROUGH TO SHOWDOWN)
3. Tommy Hill (Swan Yamaha) 210 (THROUGH TO SHOWDOWN)
4. Michael Laverty (Swan Yamaha) 163
5. Josh Brookes (Relentless Suzuki by TAS) 146
6. Ryuichi Kiyonari (HM Plant Honda) 135
7. Michael Rutter (Rapid Solicitors-Bathams Ducati) 130
8. Gary Mason (MSS Colchester Kawasaki) 115
9. Jon Kirkham (Samsung Crescent Racing Suzuki) 112
10. Peter Hickman (Tyco Honda) 98
Weekend admission tickets for all three days are available online in advance for £30 – children aged 12 and under free.
Weekend camping is £20 per person – only a handful of places are remaining.
Bookings can be made at www.cadwellpark.co.uk or by calling 0843 453 9000.