The Isle of Wight is situated just off the south coast of England, south of Portsmouth in the English Channel. Portsmouth and Southsea are easily reachable via train from London – approximately 1hr 30minutes from London Waterloo Station or 2 hours from London Victoria Station.
In order to get to the Isle of Wight you need to board a ferry or hovercraft for the short journey across the Solent to the island.
There are in the region of 350 sailings to the Isle of Wight daily.
Companies offering sailings to the Isle of Wight:
Hovertravel provides a fast hovercraft service between
- Southsea and Ryde – journey time just under 10 minutes.
Red Funnel is the original Isle of Wight ferry operator established almost 150 years ago.
The company provides ferries between
- Southampton and West Cowes for foot passengers only – journey times 23 minutes. Warning: there are no toilets on board!
- Southampton and East Cowes this service is available for vehicles and passengers – journey time 5 minutes.
Wightlink offers ferry services between:
- Portsmouth and Fishbourne – for cars and passengers – journey time approximately 40 minutes.
- Portsmouth to Ryde ferry – passengers only – 18 minutes (FastCat catamarans)
- Lymington to Yarmouth ferry – car and passenger ferry – 30 minute journey time